Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Mother's Lovin'

This past week has been a "drop whatever I'm doing" or rearrange my schedule to make it work kind of week to be around for Kirby and Daniel. School has taken a back burner (don't worry dad if you're reading this--I still have had everything turned in on time and still have gotten my readings done. Just so you know...I just haven't been as proactive on things as I normally am), I've driven to South Atlanta and back a few times, and have basically been on call 24/7. I love that I can be here for my sister in her time of need by sharing quality time with her family. My love language that I show others is definitely quality time and I really appreciate that I have had the time to show my love that way this past week. 

But who I have been impressed with even more is my mom. My mom and I are pretty close and talk about pretty much everything. But a shining quality of my mom is that she can really pull through in a crisis. I first realized this about her my junior year in college. After a semester of public relations classes (and hating it), I had a bit of breakdown over Christmas break. My mom was so supportive--suggesting everything from dropping out of school, moving home, transferring schools and everything in between. I ended up just changing majors that following spring, but was so impressed by how quick my mom was to be there for me 100%, no matter what. Other times that I have lost my job, or dealt with some form of a heartbreak from friends or boys, or whatever else that gave me quite a blow--my mom can tell from the first word that I say that I'm upset and need my mom's love and encouragement. 

This past week, my mom has been so supportive of Kirby and Daniel. She has taken off work the day of Kirby's surgery and is taking off again tomorrow to spend time with Kirby and Felicity. Although she doesn't necessarily sit down to have the heartfelt conversations, she does "little" things like sweep, grocery shop, or take care of Felicity so Kirby can rest (which are really actually huge and super helpful). Moms are great at lots and lots of things, but as for my mom, I just want you to know that your love and care is not unnoticed or under appreciated, but the opposite; so necessary, valued, and respected. Thanks Mom for loving Kirby (and the rest of your daughters) in our times of greatest need.

No comments: