Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Back in the Habit

Even though it's Tuesday, I'm getting back in the habit of talking about my weekends, because who doesn't want to relive your days off? This past weekend was so wonderful! I rarely have a weekend that I will stay in Athens for the whole weekend, in fact, I think that this might be the second all semester!

For those of you that don't know Hannah Card, you should. :) She was a camper at CVP for a handful of years and was a counselor during the second term this past summer. She and I both have red hair, the same number of piercings (that makes us sound super punky...lol But when I say that, I mean that we both have our left cartilage pierced twice), and we had green Mountain Smith bags. Scotty Harwood would constantly call us the other's name and Hannah and I both had campers from each other's cabin's call us the wrong name. And so, Hannah and I came to call each other "Twin". We made a pact sometime around New Year's that we would see each other before St. Patrick's Day and this past weekend, we followed through! Hannah drove down from Montreat on Friday afternoon and I could not have been happier to see her! She and I caught up for an hour or two before getting some dinner at Mirko (yum!!!) After dinner, we went to a super cute, "Athens-y" place called "Two Story Coffeehouse". We sipped on some delicious lattes and most importantly had wonderful conversation! I was so grateful to sit and talk with such a great friend, reminiscing over camp stories, but even more special was knowing that our friendship goes past camp and we shared life experiences.
Saturday morning, we slept in, went to Panera for some delicious bagels. (After much debating, I was reminded by how good the Cinnacrunch bagel that Emily blogged about the day sounded when I read about it, so I decided to go with that--so thanks Emily and David for helping my indecisiveness!! ha!) Hannah had to go back to school soon after our trip to Panera, so I worked out and got ready for the rest of the afternoon. With a few friends, I went to a special exhibit called "Africa in Athens". It was such a wonderful experience that was put on by Athens Church and World Vision. Everyone has their own headset and you "become" a child in Africa that has been affected by AIDS. I "was" Emmanuel, a 3 year old boy, with an older brother, 6 year old Zachary. Our father died when I was just a baby and not long after the story began, my mother came down with an unknown illness. We couldn't afford to pay for her medication or proper nutrition, so we have to sell our belongings to get by. By the time Emmanuel is 6 years old, his mother dies from AIDS. The story then carries on to share the eye-opening statistics of how AIDS is spreading throughout Africa and what World Vision is doing to come alongside to help. It was a touching, out of the ordinary experience that really made me think about what I could do. And with that came the simple revelation-pray. I've never felt called for overseas misisons, but that does not mean that I ought to turn a blind eye to something that is effecting our world. Later that night, after chowing down on some Little Caeser's pizza, Kathryn and I went to see Confessions of a Shopaholic--super cute!

Sunday was a day of nothing and I LOVED it! After church, I become a vegetable and lounged and snacked all day until going to Sunday Night Dinner with some friends from Crossroads. It. Was. Wonderful. :) ahhh I love being lazy once and a while.

No comments: