Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tired of being Lukewarm

I've gotten into a really great, new habit...well two good habits depending on how you look at it. But I have been listening to talks on my iPod from Passion 2 and 3 years ago while I've been working out. It has been so great 1. because I'll run or do the elliptical until the talk is over (which is usually 45-50 minutes) and 2. I get a great inspiration midweek from speakers like Louie Giglio and Francis Chan. I listened a talk by Francis Chan about...well, a ton but the overlaying theme was passionately loving God in a lukewarm church.

That got me thinking of what lukewarm really is...the first thing that came to mind was Starbuck's. Yes, Revelation 3:16 --So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.--made me think of Starbuck's. If you know me, you know how much I LOVE a good cup of white chocolate mocha from this wonderful coffee company. On average, I will go about once a week, unless it is around finals time and that number will at least triple. Starbuck's drive thru=best concept ever. Getting a steaming cup of delicious coffee; at the exact right drinking temperature, not too "coffee-y" or "syrup-y", but the perfect blend of each, and ahhhh that first sip is bliss. Depending on the occasion, depends on how quickly I can down a cup of coffee. Socially: slowly, enjoying each sip. Studying: well, if it's for a break from studying, slowly. If I'm sleepy and in need of caffeine, that coffee will be gone before you can say "Starbuck's". But when I'm drinking to enjoy, I always have to time my drinking just right. I do this because if you have ever reached the end of a cup of coffee at the wrong time, you would know why. All of the syrup settles to the bottle and what's left of the coffee is disgustingly lukewarm. When a cup of coffee that should be toasty warm is instead lukewarm, I totally see what this verse is talking about when they want to spit out.

Something that I have struggled with this semester has been that I've felt lukewarm. In my prayers, my worship, my quiet time, and everything in between, I haven't felt passionate. Yes, I care and I see the importance of each of these, but I've lacked an intimacy with God. So, something that I have been praying for specifically in my life, and I would love for you to pray alongside me, is that I can feel the passion for our God. The talk from Francis Chan was a simple reminder of loving God and his Word; not just the people that give the message or loving the music for the music, but loving it for the fact that we get to worship the maker of the universe and my best friend. I pray this for each of you, that you are not lukewarm but instead on fire in your worship and your quiet time with God.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your honesty! I love reading about your life :) P.S. I just discovered the Berry Chai tea at Starbuck's. B-E-A-utiful!! Must try!

Reilly said...

I believe that "the lukewarm" are really not Christians. I believe that you are either someone who has been transformed by Christ and consistently despises your sin and longs for Christ or you are someone who doesn't truly understand. To be spat from Jesus' mouth. That is a terrifying concept when I think of how many Americans call themselves "Christian".

Reilly said...

Having said that, everyone struggles sometimes Kristin... it's a matter of the heart- and it's MORE THAN OBVIOUS that you love Christ. You have a heart sold to our God- the fact that you have a heart for your own improvement in your relationship with Christ shows that you definitely aren't lukewarm... but a follower is has been made righteous!

Reilly said...

a follower *who* has been made righteous. and now im done leaving you a million comments.

i just get fired up about lukewarm..ness.

welp, cya later!