Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rover Rally 2011

This past weekend was the perfect daddy-daughter mountain weekend; complete with a cabin on top of a hill, barbeque, off roading with plenty of hills, rocks, mud, and Rovers. We got settled in on Friday night and bought way more groceries than we needed.

My dad and I headed out late morning, leaving Kirby and Felicity back a cabin, (don't worry! They got to go to a fair, eat pizza, and take naps while we were gone!) and we were off!
It was fun as always, but I feel like only pictures and videos can do justice to show our weekend off trails.






As we were leaving, Dale and my dad were saying how well everything had gone, how great the weather was, and that everything just worked out perfectly. If that isn't a jinx, I don't know what is....
So as we're driving to meet Kirby and Felicity at Rib Country and my dad looks at me and says "The power just went out." Me: "I don't know what that means." And my dad says, "Well we're just coasting. The engine isn't working." We coast into a driveway off the highway and with our good luck, a line of 6 Land Rovers pulls up behind us about 5 minutes later. Which then lead to about 8 self proclaimed Rover experts sticking their head in the engine of the "Albino Rhino".
When they finally concluded that it was more than just a side-of-the-road fix, the group of well prepared off-roaders had all the necessary equipment to tow us into town and right into the parking lot of Rib Country. Convenient, right?
Long story short, we had to leave the Rhino in the Rib Country parking lot until yesterday morning (Tuesday AM)...more on that later. Back to the weekend; Sunday was mostly for packing up and heading home. But Kirby and I made sure to stop by Panorama Apple Orchard in Ellijay. Felicity loved get to snack on apple and fried apple pies while we shopped around! Too. Stinking. Precious.

Now for the rest of the dead Rover saga. We left the lonely truck at Rib Country to brave the rain and barbeque eaters' parking lot. My dad had to call Good Sam, then me, then Rib Country, then Good Sam again, and then again, and probably a few more times. After lots of coordinating (and bribing me with money), I did my dad the favor of driving to Murphy, NC from Chattanooga at 8 AM this morning for the 2 hour drive there and the 2 hour drive back all before lunch so I could sign a sheet of paper to let Good Sam know that the tow truck did what they were supposed to do. Oy. All in all, it was a wonderful and memorable weekend with my dad, sister and niece.

PS- Felicity is growing up so fast! She said "Kristin" on Friday night and I think my whole heart melted! She's looking and sounding less and less like a baby and more like a toddler every day! They really do grow up so fast!!


No comments: