Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Two Words, Two Simple Words

"Glory Glory to old Georgia.
Heroes have graced the field before you. Men with hearts, bodies and minds for which the entire Bulldog Nation can be justifiably proud.

The tradition of unbridled excellence demonstrated by these individuals and many others spans more than a full century.

And now a new breed of Bulldog stands ready to take the field of battle, to assume the reigns of the Georgia program, to continue that tradition.

Understanding that there is no tradition more worthy of envy, no institution worthy of such loyalty as The University of Georgia. As we prepare for another meeting Between the Hedges let all the Bulldog faithful rally behind the men who now wear the Red and Black with two words...two simple words that express the sentiments of the entire Bulldog Nation...
GO DAWGS!"

My love for Georgia started strong and dedicated,
although I barely knew then that I was just starting to scratch the surface of a life long obsession.
Being a Georgia fan means early mornings with your best friends;
countless upon countless pictures with sorority sisters;
and some strangers too (like creepy old men we meet at Georgia/Florida)...
getting to the stadium at least an hour early to save the best seats in the student section;
sticking by your team in gut-wrenching losses; (like when I cried when we lost to UT in 2006)
and the most memorable of wins; (read: UGA vs. Auburn BLACKOUT)
wearing red and black dresses every Saturday in the fall;
braving the cold and the rain (aka UGA vs. GT in 2008)
traveling to as many away games as your schedule can handle,
and paying way too much for tickets after you graduate from the best 4 years of your life.
But when it really comes down to it, it's about loyalty. Loyalty to the Dawgs through winning and losing. Dedication to making game day more than just a few hours in the stadium, but an all day social event. Spending thousands on tailgates, decorations for your home, more than you should on tickets, and hours upon hours of screaming at the tv, driving to and from Athens, and of course, in Sanford Stadium--getting sunburns, sore throats, and raw nerves. But every season, no matter what, I'll make sure I'm sporting my red and black, carrying a red and black koozie around a cheap watered down beer in it tucked inside my monogrammed lucky game day purse. No matter what I love my Dawgs and I cannot wait to be back between the hedges to cheer them on against South Carolina this weekend yelling GOOOOOOOO DAWGS! Sic'em!

No comments: