Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Retelling Mimi's Story

I called my Mimi yesterday to wish her a Happy Valentine's Day. And as our usual conversations go, she caught me up on her life as of late and she asked how Kirby had been doing. I filled her in--and fyi, Kirby has been grieving, but has really impressed me with her strength, courage to keep living with her chin up, and has been vulnerable in her sharing her emotions--but something that touched me was a story that Mimi told me from before I was born.

My Grandaddy passed away a few months before I was born. Katie was almost 6 years old and Kirby was 2 1/2. My Mimi came to visit for a short time and said she was running a bath upstairs when she said she just lost it. She was leaning onto the bathtub crying heavily when toddler Kirby walked in the door. Kirby pats Mimi on the back and says "It's okay, Mimi. It will be okay."

This, first of all, is so very Kirby; the comforter. But this was so encouraging to hear Mimi retelling this story for Kirby's sake, that Mimi can say this for Kirby now.

I promise I'll start doing more regular posts soon and hopefully some pictures too! But lately life has been pretty non-blogpost worthy. Soon enough. But I thought this post was worth sharing as a pick me up for Kirby as well as any of you that might need a pick me up. :)

1 comment:

SarahKL said...

This was a very sweet thing for me to read this morning. Thinking about sweet baby Kirby and (even though I don't know her well) the sweet mommy she has become. I am sure that your grandfather is holding that precious baby in heaven as we speak.