Sunday, December 7, 2008

This story again??

This weekend has been so fun, fairly restful, and completely unproductive in any aspect of school...all together a great weekend. :) It was so great to dress up for Semi Formal on Friday night and hang out with girls from the sorority and really enjoy the social aspect of being a sister. But that is not the point of this blog, instead I'm going to talk about our Sunday school lesson from this morning.

I was surprisingly in Athens this morning for church (a rare thing that I'm not out of town over the weekend!!) and was excited for the chance to go to Sunday school and church with some friends. After some snacking and catching up with friends, the college minister told us to open up our Bibles to John 4. When I first heard this, I honestly thought, "Again? Really?" John 4:1-26 is the story of the Samaritan woman at the well that I'm sure a couple of you have heard a time or two. There are plenty of stories from the Bible that life long church goers are bound to hear on several occasions, but this one in particular is one I have heard more than a handful of times. My second summer at camp, "Backpack Jack" shared the story of the woman at the well every week on the night of Tacky Prom. This summer, Jerry shared the same story on a weekly basis as well. Add on to that the times that I have heard a lesson taught about this woman's encounter with Jesus at Crossroads or my church at home...I was beginning to this that I had heard every aspect of this story that I could have heard. And then I caught myself in that thought, realizing that I was limiting God's ability to teach me something!! Silly me!! This morning we talked about sharing our faith in everyday situations, the ones that we see as mundane and when we often think that we are too busy or are going to embarrass ourselves by asking someone how we can be praying for them or to share the Gospel. Yes, that was wonderful encouragement to hear this morning, but the lesson that was really imprinted on my heart was to not limit what God can teach you, even when you think that you "already know everything"--ha! What a crazy idea....Just a word of encouragement to each of you this Sunday afternoon (or whatever day you might be reading this on), no matter how familiar you might think something is, don't let that limit what God can teach you in that moment.

No comments: