Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Throwing my plans out the window

This summer has definitely been teaching me to give my plans to God and stay on my toes! Here's a glimpse of my week starting on Sunday--

Sunday: Church, Youth Family Cookout/CVP Commissioning service lunch. Shopping with Jessie (student), pick up Allie. Make tye-dye shirts. Watch HSM/eat pizza. Stay up until 4 AM talking with Allie and Jessie.

Monday: Take Allie and Jessie to camp. Office work at the church. Bible Study. Forgot to eat dinner. (That never happens!) Clean house. Watch Bachelorette.

Tuesday: Youth Staff Prayer and Meeting. Lunch with youth group volunteer. Shop for hours for high school room decor. Drive to camp in hurricane-type conditions. Spend time with students and old campers. To bed at midnight.

Wednesday: Camp all day to hang out with girls in youth group that are campers. Drive straight from camp to babysit until 1 AM.

Thursday: Babysit 8-2, housework, dinner with K. Fish
Friday: Meetings, lunch, and hopefully seeing another student or two at some point. Dinner with out-of-town (and in town!) camp friends (Shout out for J-Paul!)
Saturday: Babysit from 6am-10am (the parents are running a 10k that morning). Nap (fingers crossed). Clean house. Host camp friends.
Sunday: Church. Lunch with students. Coffee with Twin and Co (aka Moooaahhhllly!!!). Pack and leave for camp....why camp again you ask? Apparently I'm working there next week because they're uber short staffed because our high schoolers are going on a mission trip for the week--Summer #5 (ish)--here I come!

It's been hard splitting my time between camp and church, but in either venue, Jerry is my boss and I'm not gonna complain because I get to be relational and talk about Jesus a lot--could life get any better? Jerry is flexible so I have the chance to leave or call students when I need to when I'm at camp, but dang! it's hard to do two jobs at once. But ya know what? I couldn't imagine my summer any other way.

I don't think I could say this too much...but I LOVE my girls in the youth group at First Pres. There have been a handful of moments this week when I've been exhausted both emotionally and physically, but the conversations and moments I've had with some of these girls have made it clear to me that I am passionate about what I do and that I am exactly where I'm supposed to be. Thank you Jesus for knowing what I need and when I need it far better than I could ever know.

PS-The "J" in me is having a slight crisis over the fact that I have had to scribble out, draw arrows, and re-write plans too many times to count in my planner over the last few months. Maybe I should start writing things is pencil from now on....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have found myself going over my "lists" for life almost every single day in youth ministry.
i've found myself getting mad for not being able to accomplish something on my list and then within two seconds experiencing a greater joy because I got to do something so much better than my list could have on it.

literally every single day the Lord pulls me into loving more this adventure. I know it's like that for you, but just know you're not alone. YES, there isn't a single kid in our ministries we wouldn't give our lives for at a moment's notice. While that love conquers the list, that doesn't mean we can just throw our personal dreams out the window.

The Lord is teaching me this delicate balance. It's cool to know you understand it too....

...i've found my personal dreams are changing to something much better.

<><

SarahKL said...

It sounds like your summer has been FILLED already! Exhausting but tons of fun. :) I'm jealous of your "real world/camp" time split! Though using a cell phone at camp still kinda freaks me out... Haha! Hope everything is going great!