Here's what I think about dates: I hate them. Possibly loathe them even. Yes, it's fun to have someone that wants to get to know you, take you out to dinner, spend time (and money) with you and it's even fun getting ready to go on a first date....I know that as relationships go on, the amount of time I spend picking out what to wear to just go get coffee or dinner significantly decreases, but I do not love the nervous jitters. Or not knowing how nice of an outfit to wear. Or over thinking every lame attempt at a joke that I make. I just don't like feeling "on edge" for several hours. I overanalyze every answer I give, every question I ask, or awkwardly pausing at restaurant and car doors because I never can be 100% sure if he will open the door for me.
So the next guy I date, whoever you are, please know that I hate surprises when I know that there's a surprise coming. Tell me where we're going to eat so I know what to wear. Don't try to impress me by pulling every romantic trick in the book--save those for when I know you better and don't feel obligated to love the cheesiest of things. I'm not a cynic, I just don't feel like myself when I feel like I'm being interrogated or when I feel like you're trying too hard.
First dates are fun to look back and laugh at, but they are not my cup of tea. But sometimes the awkward is worth going through in order to get to the good stuff later on like when you really know the person. Just saying.
2 comments:
I LOVE THIS!!!
Kristin it wouldn't be you if it weren't awkward.
Post a Comment