Thursday, October 28, 2010

The music we hear and the thoughts we think

Satan has a way of being sneaky. I've realized this so much more lately when I am driving my girls in my car and we're listening to the radio. Most songs on the radio, I'm fairly indifferent to especially when it's just me in the car. But as soon as I have a student in the car with me, I'm so much more aware of the lyrics and what they mean. My girls complain when I change the channel because "Teenage Dream" or "G6" comes on...but then I ask them if they know what they're singing and they're stumped. Usually they know the words, but don't really process what those words mean. They often use the excuse of "But I just really like the beat of the music." I wonder if they would still like those songs if Psalm 23's words were in place of the more vulgar and graphic lyrics?
Whining was all I heard when I turned the radio off last week in the car. But then when I asked the girls what the song was about, 2 out of the 3 of them agreed that they shouldn't be singing songs that glamorize getting drunk, especially when they're 13. One of the other girls rolled her eyes in frustration saying that she didn't even know what the song was talking about...she just knew all of the words.

I'm not saying that every song that you hear on the radio is horrific, but looking from the eyes of a teenager, knowing (some of) the thoughts they're thinking and what they're friends are opening their eyes to, I know that I alone can't make these girls stop listening to the music they listen to. It's all over the radio, on tv, in movies-everywhere. But I can at least hopefully plant a seed of thought that makes them think twice when they start singing along to "Teenage Dream" next time it comes on the radio.

1 comment:

SarahKL said...

Amen sister. Preach on. :)

I wrote about the same kind of thing a few weeks ago when I was trying to find some "pump you up music" for working out. Let's just say I'm sticking with J103. :)