Wednesday, January 19, 2011

If at first you don't succeed at first; Try, try again.

My senior year in high school, I was so excited because I was finally old enough to donate blood. I felt like it was such a simple way to give back and even though I was scared out of my mind, I mustered up the courage to do it. They set up the blood drive in a classroom at Pope and students that were eligible skipped class to give blood. My hands and feet are almost always cold, and with the combination of low circulation and my nerves, I passed out when they were pricking my finger as I was filling out paperwork. No joke. Talk about embarrassing. The next thing I knew, I was in a chair that they had leaned back, with cookies and juice sitting next to me...Needless to say, I didn't quite make it through the actual donating blood process.

Ever since that incident, I have always talked myself out of giving blood ever again...until I knew someone that received blood because of someone else's selflessness in donating their blood for a stranger. Matt has already gone through a handful of blood transfusions during his first round of chemo this past week. With the emotional connection of seeing what blood donations can do for someone I know, I knew that I couldn't have peace with myself unless I at least tried to donate blood one more time. Emily sent out a facebook message encouraging those of us that know Matt to go to Blood Assurance in downtown on Monday afternoon to donate blood in Matt's honor. Even if I'm not a match for his blood type, my blood can go towards someone else who is in the hospital that is in need of blood for their livelihood.

I made sure I had eaten a square meal for lunch and drank tons of water on Monday to make sure my veins were "puffed up" as the nurse suggested when I made the appointment. When I walked in the door at Blood Assurance, I was relieved at once to see David and Emily Geyer, as well as Forrest Walker going through the process. I got my finger pricked without even getting dizzy (success #1 of the day!), answered the questionnaire, and waited patiently to be seated. The nurses were so cheerful and answered all of my questions, which definitely helped ease my nerves. I got pricked with the needle in my arm, leaned back and watched TV. I was doing great when all of the sudden, I got realllllly hot. I unbuttoned my polo and started to fan myself when one of the nurses looked at me with concerned and asked "You feeling a little warm, hun?" I nodded and within 30 seconds, I had a Sprite in hand, with ice packs on my chest and back, and a fan pointed directly at me. I started feeling much better almost immediately and only had about 3 or 4 minutes left until my bag was filled.
Once I was all finished and needle-free, I rested in the chair trying to regain some strength. I had at least 3 nurses remind me to take my time getting up and that if I had to sit in the chair for 30+ minutes, then that was fine. Apparently I look like the type to make a run for it? Either way, I knew they didn't want to deal with a fainting (or vomiting-ick) patient, so I obliged and finished the episode of NCIS that was on TV. I got some crackers, a coke, and a brownie in the "snack area" once I got up and moving. I felt a little weak and tired the rest of Monday night, but I blame some of that on the fact I was coming straight from a youth retreat(next blog post) that lasted all weekend.

I was so grateful that David and Emily were there to cheer me on throughout the process and now that I've done it once, I don't see why I wouldn't do it again. Emily also told me the benefits of donating platlets (and how easy it really is!) and helped me get my paperwork started to be on the bone marrow donor list! I just think that it is so neat that God created us to be able to give something of our selves to help save the lives of other people! Granted, I know donating blood isn't for everyone (especially those with weak stomaches), but why not try to at least once? Or twice for people like myself... :) Your donation can save someone's life! If that's not enough to encourage you to do it, I don't know what is.

So seriously, donate blood! And register to be on the bone marrow registry--It's so easy and can save someone's life.

1 comment:

Emily Geyer said...

woo hoo again!!

PS- It's platelets not plasma :)