Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Santa Hats and Burned Fingers

For Kathleen and Avery's party, I made sausage balls per Brian's request (so he wouldn't starve at the party because he's such a picky eater) but I wanted to try a new Pinterest recipe too. Enter Pretzel Santa Hats. I wanted to make something that me and Charlotte could make together and that wasn't a baked good because I just wasn't feeling it. Oh, and of course I wanted something Christmas-y. So with all of these stipulations, I narrowed it down to this recipe. It seemed easy enough, but turned out to be a bit frustrating.
The Cast, looks simple enough
The Helper
Her job was Marshmallow Putter Oner
So, first you melt the chocolate. The recipe called for white chocolate almond bark. I opted for white chocolate to keep it simple and milk chocolate for some variety. And this is where things started to go wrong.
In case you were wondering, which I know you all were, white chocolate does not melt like milk chocolate does. I soon discovered this when the milk chocolate looked smooth and creamy and I had no problems dipping pretzels. 
The white chocolate start clumping. And getting oily looking. And wouldn't stick to the pretzels so I was patting it on there myself. 
A few burned fingers, spilled sprinkles, and a belly full of eating dripped chocolate later, I had a few less pretzels that I had hoped, but my patience couldn't handle much more of dealing with clumpy chocolate. 
But I do think they turned out pretty cute and everyone at the party loved them. So it kind of balanced out the frustration with the party's approval. Definitely worth making again if I get better, more meltable chocolate. Lesson learned. 

No comments: