Katie and I met a year and a half ago when I was the "Dock Mama" in 2009 at CVP the summer after I graduated college. Katie was a student at LSU, but was on a study "abroad" type program where she went to UT Chattanooga for her junior year of college. Katie had attended 1st Pres and found out about Vesper Point and worked there for the summer before she went back to LSU for her senior year.
She and I were friends, mostly for the fact that she sat on the rat box under the umbrella while she was supposed to be teaching the Swim Clinic, and she was someone over the age of 12 to talk to. We had fun--we laughed a lot, talked about trivial and deep things, and maintained our friendship after the summer. We talked on the phone from time to time, but mostly kept in touch through facebook chat because we had to entertain ourselves somehow while we were both working at monotonous desk jobs.
At the end of her time at LSU, Katie decided to commit to a 2 year internship with RUF and in God's wonderful providence, she ended up back in Chattanooga! I mentioned to her at some point this summer that I thought it would be cool if she and I could meet a couple of times a month to catch up and know how to be in prayer for one another. Especially because we are both "newbies" in ministry, I knew we could relate to each other's frustrations, triumphs, and everything in between.
Our Monday mornings have become a highlight of my week. I block out about 2 hours for us to talk, have breakfast, walk, and dedicate the last half an hour to prayer. She is such an honest encouragement and I know that I can come to her with whatever is on my heart.
She has become one of my "go to" friends in Chattanooga and I am so grateful for her fun, joyful, and encouraging friendship. (And she was an encourager in my on a whime decision to get my nose pierced a few weeks ago) Love you Katie! (If you're reading this...)
No comments:
Post a Comment