Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day: A Controversial Holiday

There are very few holidays that stir up emotions quite like Valentine's Day. February 14th is a day that most people have very strong opinions about--they either LOVE it (and let everyone else know how much they love it, how much they love their significant other, the flowers and candies they got, and how this year is going to top the last X amount of Valentine's Days) or they HATE it (with a very vocal passion, mocking couples, complaining about everything that is pink, heart shaped, or smells like chocolates or flowers, some even resort to "putting salt on the wound" by eating a gallon of ice cream which watching the Notebook, Sleepless in Seatle, and other classic lovey-dovey movies).

I, on the other hand, am indifferent. That's right. A girl that is indifferent to Valentine's Day. I think guys that I've dated in the past have been very perplexed by this fact...They think I'm trying to trick them when I say "You really don't have to get me anything". The mushy, overly-sappy romance has always been such a turn off for me. It makes me feel claustrophobic to be completely honest. I'm not saying to ignore the day completely-Enjoy it! If I get flowers, I'm not going to complain or anything. But if you spend anything over $30, you're wasting your money.

If you like the flowers, fancy dinners, and romance and have someone to enjoy it with-go for it! And I'll probably watch a girly chick flick tonight because I want to, not out of resentment or bitterness. I just don't see they point in why people get all worked up over Valentine's Day. If I'm dating someone, it shouldn't take a special holiday to pull out all the stops, but it's always nice to have a little bit of romance recognized if it's there. And if you aren't dating someone, be happy for the friends and family that you love and move on with life. After all, tomorrow is another day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!