Thursday, February 10, 2011

OMG Shoes

As I was getting dressed yesterday, I debated a long time on what shoes I should wear. And as shallow as this post might sound, I realized how much your shoes can make or break your outfit. One of my biggest complaints I have during the winter is that I always have to make sure my feet are warm because they are always cold. And cold weather plus cold feet usually mean I have to forgo flats...and I LOVE my flats. My go-to shoes in the winter have become some of my clunkier, uglier shoes. My Merrels. I get so much crap about how ugly these shoes are. But they are so comfortable, they keep my feet warm, and....well, I just like them.

While we're on the topic of shoes, I'll talk about the rest of my loves...aka my shoes.

Here's what I really miss about spring: Oh my goodness, I LOVE my flats. I can never have enough. Or wear them enough. And I didn't even pull out my summery sandal flats for this picture...I have a lot of those too.

And these: My Toms are my comfy, cute, "I did something nice for someone else" shoes. What's not to love about them? Other than the fact that I only have one pair of them. Hm...gonna need to look into getting another pair of those by spring time.

A style of shoe that I have a surplus of, but wear them 24/7 in the summer are my Chacos. All 3 pairs of them. But really, I needed the different styles. I started off with the black/red pair that had the backstrap. Then I needed some that didn't have a back strap. Then I needed the brown because I couldn't wear black with navy blue or brown. So really, it's necessary that I have all 3 pairs. Trust me, I can rationalize buying any pair of shoes.
A pair of shoes that I don't wear nearly enough are my running shoes. I just don't have time. Well, I'm not willing to give up sleep to make time at least. But every summer, my dad and I go to a Fleet Feet store and they have me try on half a dozen styles of running shoes, and every year I walk out the door with this same style of Adidas, just in whatever color they're making that year. Nothing else ever seems to fit as well and I might cry the day they discontinue this style. I wish I was kidding about the crying part.
Next, my heels. I used to wear heels ALL the time when I went out in Athens. But then I discovered flats and my heels are often left in piles in the corner of my closet. Sorry heels, it's not you. It's me. And my appreciation for comfort and not being taller than 30% of the guys I'm standing next to. I get them out every once and a while...and remember an hour into me wearing them why I left them in the closet. But I still pull them out for special occasions.
Since I can't always wear my flats in the winter because of my forever frozen toes and Merrels just aren't going to cut it every day, I can always depend on my boots. Who doesn't love a great boot? I have 2 problems with boots though--you have to wear them with skinny jeans or tights...and every day is not a skinny jeans kind of day. And I have big calves (thanks Dad) so a good pair of boots is hard to find. But I do appreciate them that much more when I find a good pair...or 6?
And last, but not least are my comfy, bum around, "I don't care if I'm an old lady" shoes--my house shoes. They were keeping my feet too warm to even think about taking off for the picture. As soon as I walk in the door of my apartment, I go back to my room kick off any of the above shoes and slip into my grey, frumpy house shoes.

1 comment:

Rebecca Cash said...

haha I love this post! Thanks for the smile :) I have definitely been running into the not everyday is a skinny jeans kind of day and that is what I have to wear with boots so that is a definite problem. My somewhat solution is my pair of UGG moccasins. LOVE LOVE LOVE these shoes and I wear them literally everyday at some point because they are indoor/outdoor shoes and how can you go wrong with that? <3