Thursday, July 5, 2012

My 7th Peachtree!

I started running sometime in high school with my dad in the famous 4th of July Peachtree Road Race! My dad is a regular; this year was his 24th Peachtree!!! I never have been a runner, but I was definitely in better cardio shape in high school so a 10K didn't seem as much of a feat as it seems now. Since I started running before the digital camera age, I only have a few pictures from my racing in the college years and following. Most of these years, I was working at camp so I had to take my 2-4 to run a 10K, take a nap and head back to CVP! Talk about not having a restful day off!
My racing buddy
After I recruited some friends to join me! :) 
Another race completely!
This was the day after my 4th Peachtree when I sprained my ankle the night after the race!
This year was really the first year I put in some time and effort into training and I could tell the difference! I finished in 1 hour and 13 minutes. I wanted to finish in 1:10, but walked most of the 5th mile because my knee was really bothering me (effects of the year I injured myself the night after the race!).  But I finished and felt really good (and sweaty) at the end!
#7 and #24!
It was especially fun this year because it was Katie and Lee's first time and I felt like a pro knowing what to do and where to go next. Next year is my dad's 25th Peachtree so Katie and I are going to convince the whole family to run, wearing matching shirts of course, in support of my dad's big Peachtree Anniversary! 

I love this tradition and loved the benefits of having actually trained this year...I'm thinking now I'll start trying to do the Thanksgiving Half--make a tradition of holiday time races? We'll see.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

7, that's awesome! Congrats! And great time! I think it's a great family tradition.