Basically my title of this post is a bunch of letters and numbers until I break them down...or if you're already in the know.
1. C25K = Couch to 5K is one of the best free apps I have ever downloaded. Almost 3 months ago, I decided that I actually wanted to train for the Peachtree this year, even though I didn't have a number until 1 week before the race. But once I got into training, I realized that I needed to push myself a little bit so I doubled up the running times so it would "add up" to a 10K rather than training for a 5K. I definitely noticed a difference early on, but looking back when I would run for one minute and walk for 90 seconds for a time of twenty minutes. Now, I'm regularly run 30 minutes in one stretch, followed by either 10 or 15 minute increments to total 60 minutes of running about 3 days a week. WHAT?! Guys, I am NOT a runner. Never have been. But I've actually grown to enjoy it and I just don't even know what to do...well, besides keep on running because I don't want this to be a short lived trend.
2. MFP = My Fitness Pal. Thanks to MFP (also, one of the best free apps I've ever downloaded!) I've lost 15 lbs since I've started keeping track back in the beginning of April. I'm not normally the type to go hollering how much I weigh, especially all over the internet, but I really am passionate about this app/website because it really has worked! It's a calorie tracker, simply put. But you can scan your foods from your phone, look up previously entered items, and adjust serving sizes--so convenient!
Okay, just so you have an idea of what 15 lbs (maybe even 20 lbs if you count from before I started regularly weighing/tracking cals) difference can make, here are some pictures to compare. Granted, these were from 2009/2010ish so not necesarrily from the beginning of my tracking, but still a similar weight/jean size.
![]() |
| These shorts were barely staying...like no need to button/zip to get them on and off |
A few things to win you over to MFP. I can eat cheese (something I could not live without!). And sweets. And even wine, beer, and margs! Nom. I've really learned it is about all things in moderation. And portion control, portion control, portion control. If I eat it, it has calories. If it has calories, I need to count them to my overall daily total. The more/harder I work out, the more I can eat while still losing weight. Simple enough.
I've made me a priority. I make sure I get to bed early enough so I can wake up and ride the stationary bike or run/walk earlier in the morning before go to work or class. I try to keep variety in my workouts...even Just Dance or treading water instead of standing when I'm at the pool with Charlotte and Felicity counts!
I do not starve myself, but I also don't gorge on junk food at will like I used to. Every day is a new day so if I "messed up" yesterday, and even the day before, it's about today and staying on track that day. I do admit that wine is usually my downfall because I can stay on track all day long, but one glass can lead to two and so on. But even seeing the difference in a few months has been so encouraging and makes me want to keep it up! I could do a whole post on tips and things that I've learned and am still learning, so maybe that will be another day.
But the best advice I'm learning to take it that it's okay to brag about my success! I feel like I look good and there's no shame in just saying "Thanks, I've really been working hard" when people compliment me on how I look! I don't need to act surprised, but instead grateful because that's definitely a pat on the back to hear some encouragement!
Disclaimer: I wanted to lose weight for me, not for the size of jeans, the numbers on the scale, or for anyone else other than myself. I wanted to do it to be healthy and to feel comfortable in my own skin. Beauty has absolutely nothing to do with weight, but being healthy can (again, not about the numbers on the scale!) Okay, that's all. Yay me!






2 comments:
Kris! I just want to say that your post is so encouraging and honest, and I really appreciate it! Thank you for having the courage to write it but even more than that the courage to change your life! I need that courage right now...to swim up stream. It's not easy. But I think secretly everyone wants to be healthy but we settle because it takes self-control and discipline. But you're so right that IT IS WORTH IT! I'd love to catch up sometime this summer (I'll be traveling til end of Aug so I'm sure I'll be in GA soon! for Sue's wedding actually, July 21!) so text me! love you!
Meg
A.) You look awesome.
B. When it said MFP, I was totally thinking Marie Ford Palmer. #sororitygirlproblems
Post a Comment