Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Guilt in being a Busy Body

Friday morning, I packed up my belongings to head back to Marietta for week long break from school!! For some odd reason, the University thought it would be a good idea to give us kiddos a week, 10 WHOLE DAYS off from classes for Thanksgiving break. (Not that I'm complaining :) As a true procrastinator, combined with my inability to pack light, it took me quite a while to get everything together that I would need for a whole week away from Athens. Unfortunately, I had to pack more than just clothes...I had to pack the dreaded homework for the break. Don't get my wrong, this break is a huge help with my excessive amounts reading, studying, and everything else in between from my 21 hours of school work, but I still have that looming feeling of guilt. I have always enjoyed being busy and honestly would get bored if my color-coded planner didn't look like a rainbow threw up all over the pages, but this semester has pushed me towards crossing the fine line between busy and insanity. The few moments that I catch between meetings, studying, etc. to breath, I have this overwhelming feeling of guilt because I know that there is so much more that I could and should be doing rather than taking a nap or watching tv. As I was planning out my days for this break (yes, I wrote out plans for each day so I knew what I needed to be doing...I may or may not have OCD), I had to bring myself to realize that this is in fact a break. Seriously, this semester has trained me to not know what relaxing can do for my sanity because I stay up until at least 12:30 or 1 AM most every night and even then I will read for classes in bed until I fall asleep. I get bored when I don't have lot listed on my "To Do's", but I'm learning a hard lesson for me this break--and that's simply to take a break....Well, at least some of the time.

No comments: