Thursday, September 17, 2009

Squirrels gone wild

I was in Chattanooga last weekend, but I missed quite an adventure at my parents' house!! I called my mom to let her know when I was planning on coming back to Marietta and to see how her weekend at home was. When I asked this question, she started laughing. Here's why her weekend was so funny...Note; I feel like this whole situation seems like something that would happen on a sitcom, not in my parent's house.
My mom and dad came to find out that there were some squirrels living in the vent over the microwave in our kitchen. So my "do it yourself" dad decides that he will shove a hose through the vent to give the little furry creatures something to grab on to and climb up and out of our vent. Well, this plan did not work out as planned because the path into and out of the vent was not straight as my dad had anticipated. On to the next plan....smoke them out. So my dad proceeds to set a fire inside of the microwave in an effort to smoke out the squirrel family that had taken up residence in the Mardis kitchen walls. My mom tries (keyword, tries) to reason with my dad that he is in fact not a pest control person and that that is exactly who they should call.

So, that is what they do; call pest control. The man comes over, taking over 2 hours to rid the vent of a momma squirrel, along with her 3 little rodent children....well, almost gets rid of them. One of the baby squirrels makes a run for it. The pest control guy frantically grabs for the running ball of full, who grabs the little guy's tail at the last second....only his tail--There's now a tailless squirrel on the loose in our house. Fourtunately, mu mom and Mitzi (who LOVES to bark at squirrels, not that she would know what to do when she got close to one) were locked up in the bathroom to avoid a "cat-rat" chase....or rather a dog-squirrel chase. The tailless squirrel is eventually captured and sent off with the rest of his family with the pest guy.

Now we have a squirrel-free kitchen. And thanks to my mom's elbow grease, a house free of the run away squirrel's blood. That's right, the little booger bleed all over our house when he was on the run without his tail. SICK.

I almost wish I could have been home to experience this now comedic episode. I'm under the impression that it did not seem to hilarious at the time when there was the unwelcomed family of 4 in our vent.

No comments: