Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Bob

Sunday afternoon, a very important and well loved man amongst First Pres, Camp Vesper Point and Chattanooga joined his Father in Heaven. Bob Venable was 86 years old and was involved with Camp Vesper Point for over 50 years and First Pres for longer than that. It is not any secret that Camp Vesper Point holds a very, very special place in my heart. That place is what it is today because of the care and attention that Bob Venable gave it over many decades. The "Bob" was dedicated to Bob Venable himself. He would make several trips up to the property over the summers to be around the campers, talk to the staff, and most dear to my heart was that even in his 80s, he would walk down the rocky path to Vesper Point to hear the worship and testimonies shared by staff members. When I was co's with Hannah, his granddaughter, he sat at our table for meals and talked to the campers. I served on camp committee with him the last year and a half. When I picture Bob on Sunday mornings, at camp, or in meetings, he was always wearing a turtle neck under his buttoned up shirts and a newsboy style hat. Always.

The sanctuary at church this afternoon was nearly filled to capacity with friends, family, and camp staff. The men that spoke on his behalf resounded of Bob's pure, simple, and pointed love for Camp Vesper Point--not for the property or it's facilities, but of the work that it was been and continues to be in God's Kingdom. Bob Venable left a legacy at First Pres and will forever be remembered for his deep passion and love for CVP.

I had a hard time holding back tears (and my eyes are welling up thinking about it just now!) when I looked around the room filled with people that had their lives touched by Bob Venable. He was truly a man that was unapologetic about his love for our Savior and spent his life serving everyone around him and sharing that love. I pray that I live a life for Christ as passionately as Bob Venable did.

No comments: