Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Weekend/Work Day Flip

This weekend didn't seem much like a weekend, but Sunday and Monday certainly did! I stayed at work until pretty late on Friday night--and by stay at work, I mean see the X Men movie with one of my girls. I stayed in on Friday night and spent my evening starting my new book (The Ragamuffin Gospel) and updating my budget. I hit the hay because I knew Saturday was going to be a long day...what a boring Friday, but I loved it!

We had a New Orleans Missions trip with our middle schoolers on Saturday morning and I promised some of the girls I would go swimming with them afterwards, so swim I did! I took one of the girls to meet up with some of her friends at Panera before they went to Riverbend, so I caught up with them for a few hours. It wasn't the Saturday of cleaning and rest that I had planned for, but it was better this way anyways and way more fun! I did get to have a quick dessert with Sophia and Erin so I could catch up on Jump Start camp stories with them. But they were beyond exhausted, (I remember that feeling after a week of camp is over with!!) so our time together was fairly short. After hanging out with Kelly and Silas for a bit, I went to bed because again my Sunday was packed.

After Sunday school and church, I went to Crust to have lunch with some camp friends. Then it was time to pack up Roxy (my car) and head South to Marietta for the Mumford and Sons concert at the Fox!!! Jessica Schwartz and I met up at my parents house and were city bound for the concert. We enjoyed a yummmmmy Italian dinner at Baraonda-we had caprese, bread and olive oil, a glass of wine, a delicious mushroom pasta, chocolate gelato, and some lemonchello--We were stuffed!!! There was no time to sit and digest because we had to get to the concert! Mumford and Sons is one of those albums that I can listen to on repeat and love each of the songs. They were incredible live...they could easily be tied with Garth Brooks for my favorite concerts ever.
The crowd in and of itself was humorous enough. A lady in the row behind us was passed out drunk for both of the opening bands, then popped up when Mumford came on stage. She shouted ridiculous things like "Thank you for coming to America!" and "Play Lion Man!" (after they had already played it) Watching people dance was pretty amusing too...there was the fist pump guy, the seductive dancing girl, the couple that refused to separate more than 2 inches from their other half, a guy that clapped with practically every song, and our drunk friend that was standing on her seat and hanging onto her friend's shoulders for support.

Monday morning, Jessica and I stopped at Starbuck's (I swear they put crack in their coffee to make me crave it at least 4 days a week...that's got to be the only reason I crave it so often) and headed down the longest, most boring stretch of road ever constructed: 316. But that tragic road makes up for itself because I know that on the other side of 316 is the Classic City, Athens. We had lunch at Marti's at Midday, which is a quant house-turned-restaurant that serves huge portions of chicken salad on their made that day bread, fresh mint sweet tea, and anything else that a true Southern girl could ever want. I made Jessica stop by the Alpha Gam house so I could see the non-existent construction progress, but I at least I got to take pictures of our beautiful house.
Then we meandered through the campus bookstore and reminisced over the best 4+ years of our lives. There was an orientation group there, I had the urge to walk up to some of the girls and give them college advice...I didn't want to come to terms with the fact that that was me six whole years ago. I'm old. Katie and Charlotte had some errands to run in Athens, so they picked me up so I could spend time with my favorite redhead.
Then we met up with Jessica at Silver Lining Cupcakes-yum! I have got to do a better job of taking pictures of my food because that's always what I want to show on my blog...fat kid statement, but true. Jess and I walked downtown, ordered a cheese plate and some drinks from Highwire, had more food at Speakeasy, and stopped by the Winery before going home and crashing. Chickfila and a diet coke were a must before I was on the road again on Tuesday morning headed back for a staff meeting and a day at the office in Chattanooga.

Although I burned through a whole tank of gas and more money than I want to come to terms with right now (I'm refusing to look at my bank account until my pay day tomorrow), I loved my reverse weekend in Chattanooga, Atlanta, and Athens!

No comments: