This year, we took the middle school group to New Orleans, LA to work with Crossroads Missions. Last year, we worked with the New Orleans Mission, which is NOLA's largest homeless shelter. This year was a very different group of students and it was so neat how God used their gifts so differently. We were split up into 3 different groups: a small group of girls cooked and served meals at the Mission, our largest group of 12 helped out at a children's summer day camp called the Leona Tate Foundation, and my group (of 6) worked with Desire for Change, a Christian organization in the 9th Ward that has a day camp during the summer and cheerleading, football, and track camps as well as tutoring and after school programs during the school year.
There was bad flooding on Monday, so we were relocated to help do some finishing touches on a bowling alley being transformed into a community center/church. The "younger" kids aka middle schoolers were on painting and picture duty. Will Clark, our summer intern that is Furman bound in less than a month, and my self were put up on some scaffolding to sand down the walls of a HUGE room. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday were spent at Desire for Change. Tuesday consisted of Will rapping "My name is Will, yes that's my name, I may be white, but I still got game." The kids went wild and he earned some definite street cred after that. Thursday was pool day! Since Allie and I didn't bring our swimsuits, we sat on the side taking pictures and talking to Dwanna, the lady that thought up and runs Desire for Change. And Friday was the last day for us and the final day of the summer camp. We went to a New Orleans Hornets Basketball camp! Not that I know or really care who the Hornets are, but it gave me bragging rights I guess. We were so sad to say goodbye! It was hard to believe we had only spent 3 days with these kids, but they were so fun, full of life and energy, and it gave us encouragement to say the least.
Wednesday and Thursday night were different than the others. Most nights, we had "team time" where we reflected on our day, shared funny stories, encouragement for others in our group, and all in all just enjoyed each other's company. Wednesday was our free day! We passed out flyers for our Thursday night Outreach Cookout (more on that in a minute) in St. Roch. And then we were off to enjoy what New Orleans has to offer! For a change of pace from last year, we went on a nature walk through the Bayou, ate at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. wandered through the few middle school appropriate souvenir shops near the French Quarter and of course ate at Cafe du Monde--YUM!
Thursday was outreach night. Like I mentioned we passed out flyers in St. Roch on Wednesday. Just a tidbit of information, New Orleans is the murder capital of the US and St. Roch is the murder capital of New Orleans. Okay, now that that's out in the open, walking around with a small flock of young, white, teenagers put me a little bit on edge. We stuck out like a sore thumb ALL week long, but especially in St. Roch. But I knew that Crossroads was mindful of the location they put us in and God is sovereign and was taking care of us. Every Thursday, Crossroads hosts a cookout with hotdogs, Kool Aid, baked beans, face painting, games, and most importantly, time for one on one attention. I could easily say this was the highlight of most students' weeks and I loved every minute of it! The kids were so desperate for attention. Literally as soon as we walked up, I had 5 different girls ask me for piggy back rides, if they could paint my face, and at least a dozen other questions!
I could have done a post per day telling stories about our trip, but I'll let the pictures speak and I would love if you asked me more about our trip! The trip was exhausting, trying on my patience, and so fulfilling. I had some hard conversations with some of my girls and was more grateful hourly that I got to share this last trip with them as their youth leader. Even though it made it a little bit harder and I got more attached to the students in this ministry, I know that God has something worked out in this and if I have any say in it, I will remain apart of these girls' lives as long as I'm in Chattanooga.





No comments:
Post a Comment