Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mardis-isms

If you have ever been around a Mardis girl, you've probably raised your eyebrow and wondered "What in the world is she saying??" But really, it's like my sisters and I have our own secret language. Here's the run down:

What I call Kirby: Burger, Burg
What Kirby calls me: Burger, Burg, Toph (at times I refer to myself as Tofu Burger...on a rare occassion)
What I call Katie: Dearie
What Katie calls me: Girl
What Kirby calls Katie: Dearie
What Katie calls Kirby: Dearie
We know what the other sister calls each other so it all makes sense to us. The only time I actually use their names is when I'm talking about them to people outside of the family and sometimes to help my confused parents :)

Another little key that might help is explaining our Mardis-ian version of German. Some background: Katie was learning how to speak German when she was in high school and would practice on us/teach us and it kind of just stuck.
 Ich liebe dich (sounds like ick lee-bay dish): I love you
Vas bist du doing? (sounds like it's spelled! :) : What are you doing?
Du bist gut? (Doo bist goot): Are you good?
Sehr gut (sare goot): Very good!
Dunke bit (Dun-kha bit): Thank you
Bitte (bit-teh): You're welcome
I'm sure there are more...but I can't think of much else! I love that my sisters and I share something special that is just ours to have, even if we get weird looks from friends and strangers alike when they hear us talk! Admittedly, I am the worst when I am talking to Kirby and probably say "Burger" every other word. It just comes out so naturally when I'm talking to her and I don't even care what people say or think! It works for us :) I love having sisters. End of story.

Do you have any special family bonds that you and your siblings share?

1 comment:

Kirby Lynn said...

Did you really have to put the picture of my too-short and lopsided bangs up?! Okay but really "Burger"- Ich liebe dich too!