Tuesday, January 26, 2010

laughing through my clumsiness

Ya know when you have one of those days when you drop everything you grab? trip over your own feet? just can't get the words out of your mouth? Well, Sunday was one of those days for me. It was really started Saturday night.

Erin Kennedy and I were enjoying a late night bowl of cereal in the kitchen at camp--raisin bran crunch without the raisins, if you were wondering--when we had some unwanted company; a spider. Normally, I don't have a problem just stepping on our little 8-legged *note: Julia Suddath had to comment and tell me that spiders have 8 legs, rather than 6. Props to Julia...I was just to busy being scared to count legs. At least that's my excuse...unwelcomed guest, but it was in the kitchen...and this guy was big. Long story short, it took about 20 minutes to outwit this cunning little/big bug. Our plan involved a bowl, a broom, and a dust pan. We contemplated just putting the bowl over the creepy crawler and leaving a note saying "Spider under here, please kill it." But instead, we straightened up, screamed a lot and eventually captured the booger and took him outside. Success!

Sunday before lunch, I was helping to cut up some lettuce in the kitchen for the salad bar for lunch. Simple enough, right? Wrong. I had the pan that was holding the lettuce next to me, on the edge of the counter. I was trying to share the cutting board with someone else so room was a little tight. Apparently, a little too tight because I knocked over the whole pan of already cut lettuce straight into the trashcan. Fail. Okay, so I'm aware that I'm not even in this picture...but it was one of the only pictures of the camp kitchen that I could find.

Just wait, there's more. Erin and I were off to clean the cabins while Drexel and Meredith served lunch and scrubbed the kitchen floors so we wouldn't be at camp for 5 more hours. It was raining a whole stinkin' lot on Sunday--and let me tell you, doing anything outside at camp in the rain and cold makes for an interesting afternoon.
Erin and I finally get the mule going and are pelted by raindrops as we drove towards Cabin 12 because the clear canvas is impossible to see through when it's down and even worse when it's wet. Okay, a little wet and really cold...not that big of a deal. We clean our the first cabin and warm up a bit while we're inside. After cleaning the second cabin, I started to worry that the water collecting in the canvas top would eventually slosh over...so being the genius that I am thought I would just lift up one side of the canvas to let some of the water come out on the side of the mule. Wrong. I ended up with most of the water that had collected ALL over me. I was drenched. And cold. And we still had 7 cabins left to clean. After that, I just gave up on even trying to stay drive when I would walk to and from the cabin form the mule. I was dripping everywhere I walked. Not pleasant. Fail.

I'm glad that I had friends there to laugh with/at me during all of my clumsiness and mishaps because, in all honesty, if I do something that ridiculous, then I would really much rather have someone there with me to laugh about it when it happens and to remind me of my stupidity later. What are friends for, if not for a good laugh? :)

2 comments:

Julia said...

spiders have eight legs kristin. hope that wasn't a GRE question. ha, love you and your clumsy self!

Amy said...

I like how you actually CORRECTED, with a side note, what Julia pointed out. And I like good camp times. You make me smile!!!