Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My last new job update! (for a while at least)

Well, here it is. A much delayed update on my new job....I feel like I've had a lot of explanations of my new job of the moment in these past few months, but this is my last new job for a while (praise the Lord because I don't like drastic changes all that much, and mostly just because I LOVE my job though!)

A little background of how this all unfolded before I start to describe what I do. Jerry Harwood is a HUGE promoter of the Myers-Briggs personality indicator. In short, which this explanation will not even close to giving justice to how accurate and wonderful this indicator is, Myers Briggs is broken up into 4 "sections" with a scale going between two points for each "section". Introvert/Extravert, Sensor/Intuition, Feeler/Thinking, and Judging/Perceiving. With all of that said, the test indicates which point your personality "favors" and explains the combination of each of these sections; example: an ISFP responds to situations differently than a ENFP would. This test is meant to tell you your "right handedness or lefthandedness" so to speak, but does not tell you what you should do with your "hand" (in other words, it points out strengths and weaknesses, but not all ESFJ's react that same just because they have the same personality type.) If you haven't taken the test and had it explained in detail, this probably all sounds like jibberish...but I promise it plays a role in my job!

My personality according to Myers Briggs is an Extravert, Sensor, Feeling, and Judger--ESFJ.

Jerry is good friends with my new boss, Tony Souder. Tony came to Jerry several years ago because he didn't understand why he and his assistant were "missing the mark" so to speak when they communicated. Jerry explained the Myers Briggs to Tony which basically rocked his world. Tony loves Myers Briggs now. Loves it. (Again, I have a point with where I'm going...)

So Tony explains to Jerry about two months ago that his assistant is leaving to raise support for RUF and Jerry says, "Well, Tony-you need an ESFJ to work for you...and I have the perfect ESFJ in mind." (meaning me!) Okay, maybe he didn't say those exact words, but close enough, right?

Tony calls me that week, we set up an interview for the following Wednesday and he calls to offer me the job the next day!! That Friday (the Friday before Thanksgiving, if you're curious), I had to call my other bosses to put in my two weeks, but asked them if I could make two weeks, well, more like one week...and not even a whole week at that. They were so understanding and excited that I had gotten a job that really fit my passions (not that I don't love ribbons and babies...)

With that background, here's what I do. Officially, I am the "Project Manager" for Chattanooga Youth Networks. We are a non-profit ministry that connects and equips youth leaders around the next generation. The Network is there to support, encourage, and connect youth leaders in the Chattanooga area to enable them to serve their students at their best. Tony is the Executive Director and has been since 1994. Hayne Steen just officially started working with us on Monday as the Creative Director (he runs the website and helps us with all things "creative"). Then there's me :) I am the administrative assistant in the sense that I take care of the paperwork and organization around the office, but Tony is giving me more of a responsibility in the sense that Tony and Hayne are the idea guys and I'm the follow through. We have several big events coming up and I'm in charge of managing all of the details that come along with those events.

No two days have been the same and there's almost always something to do. We have big plans in mind with the new year and the new staff. I love my job, I love the two Godly men I work with, and what I love the most is that it's all driven by our love for Christ. This job was made for me--I get to work with people (extravert), I get to organize!! (sensory and judger; which is a bad title for what it means, the J basically means I like closer and finality in this, ie-I like to see tasks completed.) and it's wonderful.

So there it is. My last new job update for a long time. :) Praise God.

PS--Check out our website! I'm sure I'll be keeping you posted on what has been going on in my life at the job, but seriously, Hayne did an AWESOME job with our new site. Check out the old one to see how drastic the change is.

2 comments:

SarahKL said...

Sooooooo exciting!!! That is such great news! :) It sounds like the perfect job for you!

I have taken the MB test before, but never remember what I am, which means it's obviously not sinking in - haha! I will have to take it again!!

(Oh, and Charlotte is the CUTEST little thing in the world.)

SarahKL said...

Haha - okay, so I had to tell you that I finally re-took the MB test yesterday and guess what I am? An ESFJ!! (My mom is an ESTJ, my older brother is an ISTJ, and theirs are right on too.) We should definitely talk about this - I bet we have way more in common than we realize! :)