I have always loved entertaining and hosting people--something that I have missed dearly since I've been "homeless". One of my favorite parts of entertaining is that I get to cook for other people. This past weekend, I made some (if I can brag on myself for just a minute) delicious lasagna and fruit salsa. So if you're looking for a quick night of Italian food or a crowd pleasing and easy dish to serve at showers, these are your recipes!
Lasagna
1 lb. Italian Sausage (or 1/2 lb Italian sausage and 1/2 lb. ground beef)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon whole basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 lb. of canned tomatoes
2 6 oz. cans of tomato paste
10 oz. of lasagna noodles (I like using whole wheat to add some texture)
2 eggs
3 cups of Ricotta
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
Pepper to taste
Lots of mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown meat slowly, spoon off excess fat. Add next 5 ingredients and let simmer for 30 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. Cook noodles in salted water until they are tender; drain and rinse. Beat eggs, adding in remaining ingredients except for mozzarella.
Layer noodles in a 13X9X2 pan, spread 1/2 of ricotta mix evenly over noodles. Then half of your meat and tomato mix and then half mixture mozzarella cheese. Repeat (noodles, then ricotta, then meat and mozzarella) Bake at 375* for 30 minutes; or prepare ahead of time, refrigerating and bake for 45 minutes. (I didn't even have to cook for 30 minutes...check every few minutes and let cook until cheese has melted and browned) Let cool for 8-10 minutes and serve!
Fruit Salsa
4 apples (fuji or gala)
3 kiwis
1 large banana
1 package of strawberries
Strawberry Preserves
Cinnamon
Lime Juice
Stacy's Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips
Dice fruit and drizzle with lime juice to slow browning. Mix fruit together with a couple of heaping spoonfuls of strawberry preserves and a few shakes of cinnamon. Make sure to mix all at once to avoid mushing up the fruit from over mixing it! Serve chilled with pita chips--This is totally a dish to make ahead of time because the juices mix together and make it even yummier!
2 comments:
Yes... you are homeless, but you can host ME and use my kitchen anytime... and make lasagna and fruit salsa for me anytime as well :)
Yuuuuum! I am printing that fruit salsa recipe RIGHT NOW!!!
It was great to see you this weekend!! :)
Post a Comment