Friday, May 13, 2011
May Day 2011
Like every city or town, Chattanooga has it's own traditions. One of my favorite traditions that I've gotten to be apart of for 2 years now is Girls' Preparatory School's (GPS) May Day. May Day is a celebration of spring and a day to honor the Seniors of GPS. Each of the seniors are presented, but the highest honor is to be voted as "May Queen". The May Queen and her court are voted on by her classmates. Yes...it looks like a wedding with a hundred bridesmaids and no groom.
The underclassmen perform dances to songs that fit the theme--this year it was "Up in the Air". I had students in almost every dance, so it was really fun to watch each of them show off their hard work!
The last and biggest production is the May Pole. The sophomores are required to do the May Pole dance. It really is neat to see them wrap the ribbons in a a big braid around the pole! And not one of the girls dropped the ribbon!
It was hot as Hades yesterday, but so worth being there to support my girls! Just another fun (but interesting if you don't know what's going on) tradition!
Labels:
First Pres
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ahh! I'm so bummed that I missed this year's May Day! Looks like you guys had fun!
Post a Comment