If you're from Chattanooga and know anyone that goes to GPS or McCallie, or pretty much any school in Chattanooga, you've probably heard of Chapel Talks. And if you're not from Chattanooga, then I will tell you just what a Chapel Talk is; during Senior Year at both GPS and McCallie (the all girls and all boys private schools in Chattanooga) each senior is required to give a Chapel Talk in front the of school, as well as whatever friends and family they invite. Your Chapel Talk can be about anything and you can do anything you decide on stage. They typically are 10-20 minutes long, with a close friend of family member introducing you and then the stage is yours. I've heard Chapel Talks about smells that bring about memories, a dance that the girl choreographed herself, elaborating on a special quote or story in their life, and family.
Yesterday I went to Kelsey Keef's Chapel Talk. She went 2nd during the year because she is the Senior Class President (after class officers, you pull a number our of a hat to decide your order of presenting the rest of the year). Kelsey, Paige and I were the leaders of Dragonfly Den at Southwind this past Spring Break. I love both of these girls so so much and have loved growing a friendship with them, even with our 7 year age difference.
Kelsey spoke on her relationship with her sister who is a grade above her and has just started college at UT in Knoxville. She was eloquent, poised, and even kept her composure when she got choked up-something I know would have caused me to get tripped up. Kelsey spoke of her strained relationship with her sister and how it has affected her both while they were at GPS, during her sister's serious accident last fall, and now that she's left for college. Kelsey was able to say the things about and to her sister that she didn't have the courage to one on one. It's amazing how opportunities come up for people to be able to say what they need to say at the right time and place.
After she spoke, a group of her friends and guests (aka me!) were invited to a lunch at the Pavilion in Coolidge Park where they were serving Moe's--YUM! It was so fun to see Paige, Kelsey, and Babs again and spend time together just catching up! I am so so proud of Kelsey and cannot wait for Paige's Chapel Talk in April!
It all got me thinking how blessed I am to have great relationships with both of my sisters. Albeit very different relationships, I know that I can go to either of them for advice, a listening ear, or something as small as telling them a funny story (and most funny stories that I tell are funny because I did something awkward, let's be honest.) My relationships with Katie and Kirby are something that I so often take for granted and hearing Kelsey share her story just reminded me how big of a blessing it is in my life to have not one, but two! incredible, wise, and Godly sisters to look up to and respect. I love being the baby in the family and could not imagine where I would be today if it weren't for both of my older sisters molding me into who I am today. I could ramble on about each one of them separately and that could show up on here another day, but for today I want you both to know that you are loved and that speaks volumes in my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment