Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Balancing Act

This time last year and this year could not be more different in comparison.

Last year in August, I was: moving out of my apartment into Bob and Lisa's mountain home, cleaning out my office at First Pres, frantically searching/applying to jobs, and contemplating teaching Signal's guard and working at Ribbons and Bows, Oh My (for a second time around). 

This year in August, I am: in the process of redoing my room at my parent's house, working at Anthropologie, and starting my 3rd semester of grad school at West Georgia. 

Yep, pretty different I'd say. Although I miss what my life held for me in Chattanooga and friends that are up there, I could not be more content with where I am now. I love working at Anthro. Living at home has its perks and downsides. I love my graduate program and know that it's preparing me for exactly what I want to do with my life. I know I'm where I'm supposed to be. 

I cannot believe that I am starting my 3rd semester of six in grad school though! This semester should be interesting. I was pretty spoiled with an easier work load this past summer and had days that were strictly for school or solely work/off days. This semester won't have quite the same balance...My schedule at work changes week to week, but on average I work around 20 hours a week in 4-6 hour shifts. School on the other hand, goes back to night classes that meet once a week for 3 hours (as opposed to a summer schedule that met twice a week and during the day). This semester though, I have 3 classes on campus so I'm bound to have at least 1-3 days a week that I will have both school and work. I know I shouldn't complain, but honestly I've never really had to balance a schedule with working part time while being a full time student before. Also, it takes about an hour total to drive to and from work and 2 hours total to drive to and from campus. So with 4 hour shifts at work, 3 hours of class, and 3 hours of travel time (probably more like 3 1/2)...that doesn't allow for much else in my day when I want to work out, do school work, oh and eat food once and a while. 

With all of that said, I'm a little anxious for these first few weeks so I can establish some sense of a schedule or routine that I can know to expect. Wish me luck! 

No comments: