Monday, August 13, 2012

Recruitment Recap

I'm going to do a 2 part Recruitment post for the sake of your sanity, but I'm going to start of with how the logistics of rushing with half of a half work as well as some of my behind the scene stories.

I woke up at 4:45 to get ready, pack up the car and hit the road for Athens, not without stopping for a Venti iced skinny caramel latte from Starbucks! This goes without saying, but caffeine has been a saving grace this week! I got to the house not knowing who all would be there with me and I was pleasantly surprised--Katie Hardaway, from 2 pledge classes below and Marialice were there too! Maka joined us that night after work so those three ladies made up my companions for a majority of the week. The first few rounds, Katie and I dressed up, put on our Alumnae badges and did our duties which included opening and closing the doors as the President and Recruitment chairs went out on to the porch to greet the girls rushing and then holding trays at the end of each party to collect cups and napkins. Hard stuff guys.

As the day went on, we had to do a bit of a balancing act between top secret sisterly alumni stuff in the back and our door duties. We helped set up lunch, made sure cups were set up and filled with water between parties and had plenty else to keep us busy. Round 1 is split into 2 days, but day 2 consisted less none of our door duties, and just stuff in the back which is good since I didn't shower on Thursday.

Wednesday night was so fun once the day at the house was done (it was fun during the day, but a less task oriented fun!). Marialice, Katie, and a senior Riley went to dinner at Speakeasy and spent hours talking and laughing. The laughing continued well into the wee hours of the morning when Maka, Marialice and I hung out at the house before deciding we really needed to go to bed.

With that said, alarms being set for 6:30 for the next morning was not an easy sight to bear. The things we do...Wednesday night was a night of running errands to pick up lots of burlap, tissue paper and who knows what else. After dinner at Clocked (YUM), we picked up a few cakes from Last Resort and headed back to the house with our crafting supplies. A group of girls from the sorority helped do crafting and then of course we killed the cakes when we took a cake break on the front porch.
Things we learned about me on Thursday: I am the worst at alphabetizing. I am really good at cutting straight lines. I have 50 stripes of burlap to prove it.

Friday was yet another early morning after another late night. I spent a better part of my day on Thursday rearranging my work schedule so I could take off Friday but to not avail. I at least got a later shift, so I was able to stay and do a few hours of door duty and behind the scenes stuff. Round 2 was house tours which went surprisingly well. Only operating with one stair case caused a hiccup or two along the way, but that's bound to happen during House Tours anyways.

I had to go straight to work from the house and was a zombie. The adrenaline had worn off and sleep deprivation was kicking in. Not to mention I'd had like 4 servings of caffeine that day, I was a little loopy! I woke up early Saturday morning to head off to work again only to turn around, pack up and get back on the road again! Kathleen and Avery were celebrating Avery's birthday combined with a housewarming party. So fun, and props to Kackles for a beautiful home! She's my future house decorator.

After the party, I was on the road again to head back to the Classic City! I met up with Claire, Brittany, Maka, and Marialice while they finished their dinner and headed off to the Georgia Theater bar then all back home for the last night of slumber party in the house. Sunday morning was spent with Peaser and Claire running errands--picking up breakfast, dropping off recycling, picking up Claire's car (twice), and who knows what else! I hated to leave before the day was done, but work was unavoidable and I made it back to the mall just in time!

So there's the run down of my past week/weekend. Needless to say, I. am. exhausted. But so well worth it and I loved every second of it! I can't wait to see the new pledge class knowing that I played a part in getting them to our front porch. Sorry for the lack of pictures, but the next Recruitment post will include LOTS of pictures!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Thanks for posting an update! Was the house super crowded for the tours?