Although she only worked the first term, we spent all of those weekends together with friends and I got to see her soon after camp ended when I went up to Knoxville for Boom's Day over Labor Day weekend. Hands down, still one of my favorite memories with camp friends.
Throughout the years, we kept in touch the best we could with our busy schedules, but definitely took advantage of random weekend trips, birthdays and camp friend's weddings (like Matt and Drexel's and Hannah Card's!) when we could spend quality time together face to face.
Fast forward to this past fall. Samantha was in town visiting Elliot--pause: Insert Elliot and Samantha's story. Elliot and Samantha went to high school together and were in the same group of friends. His senior year/her junior year, Elliot asked Samantha to prom. They both went to Africa that following summer with their church on a missions trip and started dating soon after that. Both E and S went to the University of Tennessee so they at least were in the same city after dating for a year. Something I have admired so much about their relationship is that they both encourage each other to experience their own adventures while the other is their cheerleader, even if it's from a distance. After graduating, Elliot moved to Chattanooga when he was offered a job at Amazon while Sam finished up nursing school in Knoxville.Okay, that brings us back to this fall when Samantha was visiting Elliot in Chattanooga. I had Sam up to my mountain home for dinner one night she was in town. Earlier that day, our sweet friend Taylor had called me to tell me what Elliot was planning on proposing and wanted to have a surprise engagement party with her friends and family after he popped the question. I have never had to so consciously lie again and again to a friend like that!! We talked about how hard it was for her to wait for their next step, considering they had been dating for over 4 years, and she was anxious for a commitment of forever. Holy. Toledo. I wanted to scream--It's coming! So soon! It'll be perfect! And wonderful! But nope. I held my tongue. Go me. Seriously, I considered that a more than small feat to keep a straight face that whole night.
A few weeks later, Erin, Cara, and I hopped into Cara's car to visit Knoxville for the afternoon to surprise our friend after her engagement. Naturally, I was the sappy one and started to tear up when I saw the absolute look of surprise when Samantha saw that we were there. And the wedding planning began!
And now the weekend is finally here!! Samantha and Elliot are going to be Mr. and Mrs. Dyson tomorrow evening and I am so excited to celebrate their marriage! And almost as excited, selfishly, I am so excited to and catch up with wonderful camp friends that I don't get to see or talk to nearly enough.
Cheers to Samantha and Elliot! So excited to be apart of your special day as you start your life together as husband and wife! :)







No comments:
Post a Comment