I have always loved reading! Once I find a good author that I like, I'm pretty much hooked on anything they've written...I'm especially a sucker for series books (any good suggestions? I'm going to start the Divergent series after I've started my fall semester)
This summer though, I've been on a reading kick. It's a great escape in a busy household and it's been a treat to have had an easy semester with only 2 classes this summer so I've actually had time to get lost in a book or two.
I started off with a borrowed book from my mom...I was a little skeptical. Surprisingly, it was a really good book! It's based off of Rizzoli and Isles TV series, even though I've never gotten into the show, the book was a murder mystery style book that moved at a good pace. I think it might have helped had I have had some idea of the characters personalities before getting into the book, but it was easy to get into early on.
After that, I re-read a classic for a second time...mostly because it was the only book I could find that sounded appealing one night when I was in a mood for a feel-good book. I'm pretty sure every one I know has read this book, seen the movie, or both--so no need for a recap.
Following a classic, I wanted to stick with "what I knew" but still a new book. I dug into my mom's collection of books and pulled out one of the few Mary Kay Andrews books I hadn't read before. It was a quick read, and I loved that it was set in Atlanta because I knew all of the roads/places they were talking about! It was a fun, light read that I would give a solid thumb and a half up :)
After that, I had forgotten how easy and enjoyable MK Andrews book were so then I moved onto another. This one was probably my least favorite of the 3 of her books I've read this summer. This would have been a great beach read....had I of been at the beach. It was a little too predictable for my taste--girl is down on her luck, finds a project/reason to be away from her "normal" life, has supportive friends, finds a love interest and everything falls into place in the end. Granted, that's most of her books but this was one was especially predictable--still fun to read, but not my favorite in comparison.
Last on my Mary Kay Andrews kick was probably my favorite of three! It was a little but more relatable because the girl was in her 20s (check) and was unexpectedly fired (check)...and then the similarities end really....But she does have a project as well as a problem to fix, although the relationship with the boy a bit too ideal/unrealistic, it still leaves you with the feel good feeling that you want in the end.
And finally, I'm finishing my summer reading list with one of my all time favorites and a definitely much needed book in my life right now: Redeeming Love. Sigh. I just love this book and all that it tells. If you haven't read this book before, it is hands down my #1 recommendation out of all of these. It is such a beautiful picture of the Gospel, but not in the typical "cheesy" Christian novel style. I just started it at the end of last week and will probably finish it before the end of this week! I just don't want to put it down.
I'm sure I can pull a few more good books from my mom's stash that I haven't read, but I am always looking for good reads! Please share if you have any "must read" suggestions!






1 comment:
Mary Kay Andrews is my favorite! Well, not my favorite, but I love her. The only one that I've read that you've read is The Fixer Upper, so I definitely will put the next ones on my list.
Also, Francine Rivers is my favorite. :) Have you read the Mark of the Lion series? So awesome. Those are the only ones I've read by her, but I found one at Goodwill, so of course I grabbed it. Can't wait to read it!
Post a Comment