Monday, October 15, 2012

Wild Dunes

This past Friday I woke up earlier than I do for work, school, and even the occasional game day. Why, do you ask? So I could get my toes in the ocean water as soon as possible. Lauren, a friend of Jessica's a UGA through study abroad and I carpooled to meet up with Jessica Schwartz and her friend Christy from high school at Jess's parents beach house just outside of Charleston, South Carolina.

It was close to a 6 hour drive so I was glad to have a friend in the car to help pass the time! We made great time and got up there just in time to unload and grab some lunch at a local tavern called Poe's. Apparently Edgar Allen Poe is from Sullivan's Island, a neighboring island of Isle of Palms (where we were staying)? I started off my weekend vacation as every girl should: with a beer and a burger. After lunch, we ran some errands and headed back to the house to start unwinding. Just so you get an idea of how great our view was...
Lauren went to lay out while Jessica and I took a stroll down the beach when we found this little gem. :)
Christie got in just after we finished our time at the beach and after a little grooming, we set off for downtown Charleston. We had dinner at Cypress and although a little overpriced, it was delicious. Charleston has some great rooftop bars that we enjoyed on Friday night and met up with some of Lauren's friends that were in Law School in Charleston. It was a fun night!
Saturday morning, my inability to sleep in was in full effect and I was up and out the door by 8:30 for a morning run on the beach. It was super windy, but the view made up for it! I came back to the house for some breakfast and was back out the door for another long walk on the beach with Lauren and Jessica. The early afternoon was spent lounging around the house with a short nap, some snacking, and eventually a shower to wash off the layers of sand that had accumulated on my legs from the windy beach walks/run. We loaded back up into the car and headed to Charleston for a little touristy sight seeing. 
We ended our afternoon of touring and shopping at another rooftop bar for a little happy hour refreshment. 
That night, we went to Taco Mamacita--one of Jessica's favorite restaurants (well mine too, but after going there every Wednesday for 6 months, it wasn't as rare of a treat as it was for Jessica.) We gorged ourselves on guac and queso and found ourselves uncomfortably full after dinner. We opted for a chill night in with some football on the TV and an early bedtime. 

Sunday morning Jessica packed up and left soon after we checked out, but Lauren and I decided to hang around for a couple more hours and soak up a a little bit more time enjoying the waves and sunshine. I went for a long, long walk along the shoreline while Lauren laid out. 
We decided it was time to leave around 11:30 and head back to the real world. Another long car ride with good company, and before we knew it, we were back in the Peach State! I was sad to leave the beach, but a weekend away was well worth the long trip in the car! Hopefully it won't be too long before we can make it back!!

PS-Talk about odd man out not being blonde this weekend! #gingerproblems

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to Charleston for vacation in August. Absolutely love it there!