Thursday, October 18, 2012

Easy as Pie (Dip)

My dear, lovely friend Mary is getting married this Saturday (woo hoo!!) and I gladly offered to help do some of the before the ceremony/day of happenings, like I did with Kathleen's wedding (along with an army of help! That was not a job I did solo!). So since Alexa is vegan and staying with Andy's parents this week and Bonnie's claim to fame recipe list starts and stops with funfetti cookies (which she will be contributing the menu too!), and I love to cook--I took on the rest of the menu but they'll be there to help for the set up and clean up so that alone is a huge help!!

A few things you need to know about Mary. Mary loves fall. Everything about it. And Mary loves a good themed celebration. Not to mention she's the bride, so whatever Mary wants, Mary gets. A combination of all of these well known facts about Mary helped drive our menu choices of fall-y brunchy type foods. I'm hoping to document each dish as I make it so I'll just do post recaps one item at a time.

The first one is Apple Pie Dip. Bonnie found this on Pinterest and passed it along to me--we thought what's more fall than apples, especially apple pie, turned into a brunch style serving?! The answer is nothing. I figured the dip could sit in the fridge for a few days so that's why I made this little guy first. It was surprisingly easy! The only time consuming task was peeling the apples, but since the recipe only called for 2 cups of diced apples, I really only had to peel the two apples!

All of the ingredients and supplies
It's amazing how starkly different the two apple colors are!
2 cups diced apples, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon over heat. Bring to a boil. 
While I was waiting for it to boil, I tried on my wedding outfit for approval from my mom and sister...the final outfit is still in the works. I've been told I need to buy new tights....
After you bring the concoction to a boil, you add 1 teaspoon corn starch dissolved into 1 teaspoon of water and bring the dip to a boil again. Set aside and cool! Voila! It can be served warmed or cooled...I think I might pop it in the microwave just because I think all things apple and fall should be warm and toasty. 

Easy as pie (dip)!! I opted not to do the cinnamon sugar tortilla chips the original recipe blog suggested. I mean, why spend more time and effort on that when you can grab a bag of Stacys' cinnamon sugar pita chips?? Exactly, you have no valid argument because those pita chips are delicious. 

I didn't even taste test it...well, I licked the spoon...but otherwise, I didn't taste test it so I hope it's a hit! I'll report back later with the Apple Pie Dip Report Card following the wedding. Fingers crossed it gets an A...if not, a strong B+!

No comments: