Monday, January 5, 2009

A blissful break spent with my nose in a book

A new year is officially here and about to start moving at full speed when classes pick up again (and for the last time--EVER!!!). Although my break has been far from what most would call exhilarating, it was exactly what I needed. I'm pretty sure I did everything on my "To Do" List except for the visit to Chattanooga and a visit from some Chattanoogians, Hannah Card and Ellen Huffaker. But, I have a feeling that I'll be up to Chattanooga plenty of times this semester and more and more likely, this summer.

Something that I have especially enjoyed this break is a chance to read some books--for fun. Crazy thought, I know. I selfishly took whatever chance I could to steal away from others so I could delve into a book or two. Some days were spent sleeping in, reading in bed, changing locations only to read some more, eating on occasion, and of course, more reading. It. Was. Perfect. My favorite set of books that I've been reading over the break is The Chronicles of Narnia. The first reason I wanted to read the 7 books in the series was that I had never read them except the always classic and most popular, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Secondly, I really wanted to read the C.S. Lewis series from a Christian, biblical perspective. Granted, these books are on a 5th and 6th grade reading level so they make for easy reads, it has been so refreshing to be reminded of child-like faith and the excitement of believing it all. The greatest part of it all, even though the stories of Narnia are fantasy, the underlying theme of the story is true.

Aslan is portrayed so well as the strong, loving, fearless King of Narnia who works in his time, not the demands of the children from "the other world". The books describe Aslan's creation of Narnia, as he breaths life into the trees, the water, the light, and his people. In other books, Aslan comes out of his bliss at "the ends of the worlds" into the world that he created, Narnia, to guide them. And I love how Lewis portrays the "people" of Narnia. They are animals--not cute or put together, but gruff and unexpected creatures, but so loved by Aslan. Sounds kind of like us, doesn't it? Sinful people with ugly hearts, but so loved by our King that we can hardly begin to wrap our minds around it. Each book holds a different perspective, a different lesson, and a different way to view Christ's love for us through this world of fantasy and adventure created by C.S. Lewis. If you can't tell, I could talk about each book for hours on end...I really want to find out more of Lewis' perspective in his writings of this series because I know my insight is limited, but Ahhhh...I have absolutely loved the chance to read books that make you think and even better, broaden my view of our amazing Father and Creator.

1 comment:

Kasey Lee said...

I love those books! The parallels are absolutely amazing! I love you best friend and can't wait to see you!!