So as I've mentioned before, my sorority house is getting some
major renovations done on it and I know I am super excited! The only downside? Rushing with half of a house. The renovations are set to be finished by January of 2013, allowing the "in house" girls to move back in for Spring Semester. Right now, they are living in a house/condo set up all together, which I have yet to see, but I've heard good things so far.
For those of you that are curious, Round 1 obviously didn't have many adjustments to make other than the fact that the Alumni/mothers that were helping out had to work out of the Trophy Room, Mail Room, and Ms. Cindy's apartment rather than the dining room and kitchen.

Round 2 is where things got tricky. Rather than have 3 stops on house tours (foyer, old part, and new part) they divided the foyer into 2 stops: TV room and Music room, then foyer and Gentleman's Parlor. The Foyer had the future house plans up on easels (which I failed to get pictures of...) so there was something to show them in terms of progress and vision rather than just seeing our crazy mess of construction! They had tea and lemonade set up in the rooms upstairs as well as downstairs too so the girls could take their PNMs out of the foyer area right away rather than having to stop for a drink first! Oh, and no mason jars this year since we didn't have a dishwasher, but we had these awesome plastic cups with our letters on them and they turned out great--picture fail, sorry!
 |
| They used last year's room residents' bedding and decorations! |
 |
| Renovated bathroom as of last summer! Don't worry, these were not shown on house tours... |
 |
| My Sophomore Year Room--Cosmo |
 |
| Engagement |
 |
| Obviously minus a picture, don't worry; they fixed it before the PNMs got the tours! |
 |
| Penthouse |
 |
| VIP |
 |
| The Study |
 |
| The updated foyer from last summer!! It looks SO much better and sounds great with the hardwood floors! |
I was really glad I got to see the house and House Tours in action because that was something I was definitely curious about. During the first rounds, we had construction still going on behind the house AND men putting up the tent next to the house so we could do Round 3 and Prefs without a chapter room. It was basically like a wedding tent with a huge air condition unit to keep things cool! Lots of activity on our little corner of Milledge!
 |
| Obviously not usable for Recruitment! But that board used to be the doorway that led to the old part hallway where my Junior Year room was! Crazy!! |
Once they got the tent all set up (just in time for the crazy thunderstorm that came through that evening), we got to work on decorating to spruce the tent up! I had to leave for work so I missed all of Round 3, but Brittany (Pease) Hughes sent me pictures to keep me posted! They served Chick-Fil-A and cokes so we went with a "shabby chic" theme; adorable!
The set up turned out great! I loved it and wished I could have seen it for myself, but was so impressed because I know the hard work that some of the girls put into it!
Prefs had basically the same set up as Round 3 but just sans burlap on the tables and the stage at the front of the tent with the tables more spread out--like into the foyer and side rooms as well as the tent. They served cupcakes with strawberry frosting (going with the easy clean up again) and raspberry ginger ale and it looked (and tasted) great! Something I didn't take a picture of but should have were the Pref tables. Instead of putting picture frames and cluttering up the tiny tables we have, they put pictures with scrapbook paper on the tables and laid glass over the top. It kept things simple but each table was personalized! Props to whoever came up with that idea!
Let me know if I let out any details you wanted to know and I'll do my best to fill you in! I'll be in Athens at least once a month (I'm the VPO advisor now, what?!? Crazy.) so picture updates on the house progress with be semi-regular (hopefully!).
2 comments:
Thanks for taking pics of all the rooms! They look so good now that they are all painted. For some reason we weren't allowed to paint when we were there. So are there any girls living in the house at all? I also had no idea the foyer got hardwoods. Was it crazy loud in there without the carpet? The building plan looks huge, hard to imagine what it will look like in person. I guess I'll have to go visit. And go you for being an adviser! Wow!
Kathryn-no girls are in the house! It is locked up from the girls until the opening in January. EC won't even meet there which is weird, but understandable I guess. And yeah, last summer the old part bathrooms, foyer, and Gentleman's Parlor were re-done. The Foyer and GP got new, lighter (but still timely) wallpaper and new flooring. It was SO much louder without carpeting! Great improvement! I know they're planning on doing an Alum Open house sometime in the spring once the addition is finished too!
Post a Comment