Friday, November 2, 2012

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

And finally, the last and final brunch recipe post from Mary's wedding day festivities! Besides the dishes I've posted on here, we served mimosas, Bonnie's funfetti cookies, and veggies with ranch. They all got rave reviews reviews, but I think my favorite were these pumpkin cream cheese muffins.

I had made some for tailgating earlier this fall, but wanted to try a different recipe. The first batch didn't seem pumpkin-y enough to me and just having a dollop of plain cream cheese didn't "wow" me. Don't get me wrong, the first recipe of muffins were all eaten and got a thumbs up from most, but call me the picky chef, I thought there was room for improvement. 

So I searched around on Pinterest some more with 2 things in mind: 1. glowing reviews; making sure to read the positive and negative comments so I would have a better idea of what I was getting into. And 2. something different with the cream cheese filling--a different ingredient? another way to add it? frosting rather than filling? I saw a lot of options but finally settled on one. Needless to say, I take my pumpkin baked goods very seriously. 

The whole process did take a some time, but I am not kidding when I say it is totally worth every second. Also, it may have taken some extra time because I was constantly licking the spoon and having to trade out utensils. I'm not even a little bit sorry. 

The "cast of characters"
Mixing the dry ingredients, easy enough
 Now for the pumpkin, eggs, oil and sugar...aka when my spoon swapping started
I totally skipped over the cream cheese part. You mix cream cheese and powdered sugar, roll it up and pop it in the freeze for a couple of hours. Well, I didn't "pop" long enough so rather than cutting the log into discs as the recipe called for, I spooned them in...a bit messier, but that meant I just got to lick more off my fingers. No complaints from this lady.
Added bonus of this recipe was the crumble mixture on top. I think it "made" the muffins. 
I filled the muffin tins to the brim, but had a bit leftover...turns out it was just enough to make 2 muffin tops for my parents!
The final product!
I'm ready to make another batch already. Who wants to join me in eating them? 

No comments: